Boston Tower Records Sidewalk Medallion

General chat about the Bosstones

Moderator: Moderators

Boston Tower Records Sidewalk Medallion

Postby The Tall Kid » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:43 pm

The rarest, one-of-a-kind item that a BossToneS memorabilia collector might ever dream to own...

In the City of Boston, at the Southeastern corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Newbury Street once existed Tower Records (the space is now occupied by Best Buy). For years, in the concrete sidewalk in front of the entrance to the record store, lay bronzed medallions the size of manhole covers bearing the names of some of the Hub's children of musical fame including Yo-Yo Ma, J. Geils Band, Aerosmith, New Kids On The Block and The Mighty Mighty BossToneS.

Where on earth did this monumental piece of MMB history go when Tower Records vanished off the Beantown map?? This question has crossed my mind time after time... but after passing the spot during the pilgrimage to Hometown Throwdown 12, I just had to put this out there... someone has to know!

I was unable to find a picture of the BossToneS medallion... Here's what Yo-Yo's looked like...
Somewhere, out there, is a picture gallery "Dicks of the 737." - xtine
The Tall Kid

Re: Boston Tower Records Sidewalk Medallion

Postby matt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

The Tall Kid wrote:The rarest, one-of-a-kind item that a BossToneS memorabilia collector might ever dream to own...

In the City of Boston, at the Southeastern corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Newbury Street once existed Tower Records (the space is now occupied by Best Buy). For years, in the concrete sidewalk in front of the entrance to the record store, lay bronzed medallions the size of manhole covers bearing the names of some of the Hub's children of musical fame including Yo-Yo Ma, J. Geils Band, Aerosmith, New Kids On The Block and The Mighty Mighty BossToneS.

Where on earth did this monumental piece of MMB history go when Tower Records vanished off the Beantown map?? This question has crossed my mind time after time... but after passing the spot during the pilgrimage to Hometown Throwdown 12, I just had to put this out there... someone has to know!

I was unable to find a picture of the BossToneS medallion... Here's what Yo-Yo's looked like...

It was on eBay within the past two or three years. It was up for $300 or something. I gave up sorting through years of facebook posts to try to find out when and how much it was on sale for. It didn't sell.
matt

Postby The Tall Kid » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

matt wrote:It was on eBay within the past two or three years. It was up for $300 or something. I gave up sorting through years of facebook posts to try to find out when and how much it was on sale for. It didn't sell.

The White Whale...
The Tall Kid

Postby PolarPenguin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 am

Newman?
PolarPenguin

Postby The Tall Kid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 am

PolarPenguin wrote:Newman?

Russ, I can always count on you for a good Seinfeld reference. Much love, brother!
The Tall Kid

Postby PolarPenguin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:18 pm

haha hell yes. We should do a Seinfeld trivia next Throwdown. I'd definitely own at that.
PolarPenguin

Postby greedo737 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:33 pm

PolarPenguin wrote:haha hell yes. We should do a Seinfeld trivia next Throwdown. I'd definitely own at that.

That's the best idea you've ever had!!!

Oh, and . . . TALK TO THE EIGHT BALL!!!!
"I hear alcohol calling...better go see what it wants.”. -mightybill737
greedo737

Postby Vandelay737 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 am

Listen guys...I'm pretty sure any seinfeld trivia contest at throwdown 13 will be OWNED by one Vandelay737!!!!!
Vandelay737

Postby The Tall Kid » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:25 am

Vandelay737 wrote:Listen guys...I'm pretty sure any seinfeld trivia contest at throwdown 13 will be OWNED by one Vandelay737!!!!!

First name Arthur? aka Dr. van Nostrand?

(Hey, it's my thread I can steer it off course if I want! :P )
The Tall Kid

Postby Vandelay737 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 am

I'm an Architect
Vandelay737

Postby PolarPenguin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 am

Actually, I think I could set my sights higher. I would like to be a city planner. Why limit myself to one building when I could design an entire city.
PolarPenguin

Postby McFlynnTHM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 am

The Tall Kid wrote:(Hey, it's my thread I can steer it off course if I want! :P )

Former Punknews editor. Hater in Chief.

twitter: @mcflynnthm
McFlynnTHM

Postby Jodocow737 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 am

McFlynnTHM wrote:
The Tall Kid wrote:(Hey, it's my thread I can steer it off course if I want! :P )

this made me lol can't say i've seen that one before
Mattciq to random texas bro that wandered into the punx room " Nickleback is the shit"
Jodocow737

Postby Vandelay737 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 pm

I was over at hi-fi pizza before the throwdown last tuesday when i was approached by the Van Buren boys. Good thing when they corned i was still holding the shaker in my hand and only held up 8 fingers, which was the secret signal and they thought i was a former Van B boy!
Vandelay737

Postby mattciq737 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:33 pm

skippy: well, that does it. smoke a bowl and wait for the world to end.
mattciq737

Next

Return to Bosstones Stuff